Thursday, January 22, 2009

Paloma PTA 5k

The 1st Annual Paloma PTA 5k was today. I, and about 30 other runners toe'd the line on the Paloma track. Then we hit the streets making a figure 8 around the community.

It was probably 50 degrees at the start, but dry and a good morning for racing. About a dozen runners started out quick and the winner won in about 17 minutes. A cross country kid from Desert Vista HS. My first mile was done in 9:01. Boy, would I like to keep that up for an entire race. The graph below shows my half mile splits and you can see I ran slower splits almost the whole race. Miles 2 and 3 were in 9:34 and 10 minutes flat. Still very good for me. The last mile I ran, I did not see anyone behind me. Wow, I was going to run a good race for me and finish last, or so I thought.


I poured it on at the finish, but gave the man in front of me too much of a lead. I finished at 29:20, my second under 30 5k and only 31 seconds off my PR. Turns out, after about 2-3 minutes there were more runners coming in.

To my surprise, not only did I get a T shirt, but they had finisher medals too. The same medals they give out in the school events. It was a well run event and I thank the PTA. All the volunteers were nice and helpful. The announcer was calling out names when he could. There was even a gentleman that would run down to the next runner, get the bib number, figure out the name, run back to the announcer, so that he could say the runners name. Plenty of cookies, fruit and drink at the finish line.

If you are looking for a small race in west Chandler, this could be it. This was the first year, hopefully it will become a yearly thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment