Sunday, April 1, 2007

Susan Koman Race for the Cure 2007

Komen Race for Cure Kimberly

(from our personal Blog in 2007 - see also 2008 report)

I love my woman – she has always made me very proud to be her man. Her kind soul, passion, giving personality, relentless determination in pursuit of her desires, and her ability to drive through the challenges that life will sometimes thrust upon us are but a few of the things that make her so special and me a lucky man. I always have this realization with me, but every once in a while there are days, or moments perhaps, in life that stand out and the pride you have for a loved one is so strong it gives you that ‘smile and a tear’. Sunday, October 14th 2007 was one of those days. One that I will remember forever – it was just perfect, and I couldn’t imagine it being any better.

Kimberly and I raced in the Susan Komen Race for the Cure on the 10th year anniversary of Kimberly’s diagnosis of Breast Cancer. My little baby went out and ran her sweet little behind off and finished in the Top 10 of all 3000 or so Survivors that participated!! Talk about determination…. Just like she plowed through all the challenges that the cancer had brought her 10 years back, she used that special something to push herself and accomplish something special. You should have seen her: up front, taking off in the lead (that's her the Redhead in the picture out front), a 42 year old, cancer surviving grandmother looking like nothing in the world was gonna’ stop her. It was pretty freakin’ cool – yep, that ‘smile and a tear pride’ from this old man.

The rest of the day was perfect as well. The Race for the Cure really puts on a great event, for a great cause. You should all join us next year – walk, run, or just hang out and see or hear the stories of survival and loss – it’s for sure a day of perspective that we can all use sometimes. And while I am at it, next time you’re headed out to a restaurant, stay at home with someone you love instead, turn out the lights, light a candle, cook some pasta with a little sauce, and send the tip money you saved to the Komen Race for the Cure Foundation – Cancer is a bitch, it needs to go away.

I love you baby – RUN HARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment